Surviving your first day as a GP Locum
Congratulations - you've got your first locum job!
In order to get yourself off to a good start:
|Arrive 15 minutes early
|Introduce yourself to key
staff, including any partners
or salaried doctors, so you
can approach them for
advice if needed.
|Ask for the locum pack (this
should contain information
such as computer login and
To ensure you are well prepared, here is a useful checklist of questions to ask:
- Where are the emergency drugs kept?
- What is the extension number for reception?
- Where is the panic button?
- How do I call patients in?
- How do I request blood tests and where are these done (on site or local hospital)?
- How do I order x-rays and ultrasounds?
- How do I refer for physiotherapy and counselling?
- Where are MED3, MATB1 and maternity exemption forms kept?
- How do I create referrals?
- At the end of the session, consider any tasks that may need handing over or follow up.